Sometimes, on days when the computer screen or the notebook page taunts me with its stoic blankness, I wish I heard dead people.
I wish a dead person, or a live person, or even one of my chickens, would come tiptoeing up behind me on their wispy ghost feet, or their squeaky new Chuck Taylors, or their tiny little chicken claws, and whisper in my ear. I wish they would say, "Miss Portia (they are southern--they have nice manners), here is what you will write today. These are the words you will use."
And then my hands would fly. Fly. Across that page, over the keys. And then, the writing would be done. I would sit back and read what I had written and be surprised. I would be grateful. I would be tired. I would be glad.
But, no matter how hard I may sit and stare, no matter how long I may wait or how many salt-throwing, wood-knocking wishes I may wish, there is no person, dead or alive, no clucking, cooing chicken, to give me the words. There is only me. There is only the pen, or the computer keys. There is only that.
And that will have to be enough.
Be careful what you wish for - chickens do talk to me. It is usually fowl language and rarely worth the quill pens it would take to write it down. You really aren't missing a thing. You can only listen to so much barnyard gossip until you start getting paranoid about making eye contact with the ducks and the things they tell me about Old McDonald would curl your hair!
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your work! I look forward to visiting again and reading your entries. Check out the children's picture book, Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type by Doreen Cronin and Betsy Lewin. Pam Petty
I picked up the latest SOKY edition to read the article about our local Down Syndrome Support Group and ended up reading your story twice. Once to myself and then out loud to my husband on the way home because I loved it so much.
ReplyDeleteYour daughter was my favorite peer tutor and I absolutely adore her excitement for life. Please tell her I said hello.
I just wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed your story about dining rooms and look forward to stopping by your blog again.
-Melissa Veith
Thanks, thanks to readers like you guys! I appreciate your time and your feedback so much! Portia
ReplyDelete